The historical train that previously traveled the distance Volos - Milies, was run on the historic railway, whose construction started in 1881, first to Lechonia, to be delivered in 1896. The remainder of the section until Milies was constructed, in order to be put into operation in 1903.
The supervision of the construction of the railway network was carried out by Evaristo de Chirico, the father of the well-known painter Giorgio de Chirico, born in Volos.
The legendary route of "Moutzouris"...
11 o'clock at the station of Ano Lechonia. The train of Pelion whistles giving the slogan of an unforgettable journey. The ascent to the beautiful slopes of Pelion until Milies starts!
One of the narrowest railway lines in the world (60 centimeters) hosts the 4 wagons of "Moutzouris" (Black Dirt), as it was once called the train of Pelion, to declare the steam and smoke it left behind. From Ano Lechonia to Milies, the route is mountainous, crossing the verdant slopes, with the dense vegetation of plane trees and hollies.
The only stop of the train is for just 15 minutes, in Ano Gatzea, to continue "blowing out" and rocking its wagons for a journey of a total length of 15 kilometers and a time of 90 minutes.
Approaching Milies, the landscape acquires a wild beauty, especially in the passage of the great metal bridge of Taxiarhis or De Chirico, from the name of the maker and father of the great painter. At this point, the train will roll on a curved line while the bridge it is in is straight.
In the Taxiarchis ravine that turns the train to reach Milies, there is the cave of the wise Centaurus Chiron, who is portrayed in several myths, with a more important role as that of Achilles' teacher.
Milies Station is the end of the route. Traditional guest houses, tavernas, Taxiarches church renovated in 1743, the folklore museum and the library, one of the oldest in Greece, await visitors for a tour, and from here begins the picturesque cobbled path that leads to the center of the village.